Clutch master fluid color

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch master fluid color
From: "Gary Pointer" <Gary.Pointer@telus.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:41:31 -0600
Bled the clutch and brake systems to freshen the fluid prior to winter
storage.  Existing fluid in the clutch master reservoir was a
non-translucent, grey metal color.  Whereas the brake master fluid was brake
fluid color.  The clutch master is a Girling unit from Sunbeam Spec,
installed 2-3 yrs ago.  Used Castrol GT LMA DOT-4 brake fluid in both clutch
and brake, as specified in the owner/shop manuals.  Something I don't know
about compatibility here?  Siphoned the old fluid out.  When the reservoir
was half empty, I could see an accumulation of grey solids resting on the
bottom of the reservoir.  Siphoned/wiped this material out, then bled plenty
of new fluid through.  Hope this hasn't shortened the life of the
master/slave.  Anyone have this experience?