Sat morning rambles

To: "tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sat morning rambles
From: "D. E. Adin" <adin@frontier.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:34:31 -0600
The beast rumpa rumpas in the drive while I gather myself together.  $5 of
91 octane, morning paper and some cash for breakfast.

Luckily, We (the beast and I) are tucked in behind a farmer in an aging
F-250 4x4 complete with a roll of fencing, a BIG tool box and a post hole
digger as we make the climb up onto Red Mesa through the twisties of Wildcat
Canyon.  He soon finds a cow to harass and fence - we struggle to keep it
safe a safe and legal 65 through the dips across the mesa, past the
haystacks in the early morning.

Make a right and head up the La Plata river valley  - splendid in fall
cottonwoods, grazing deer (stay put, little girls) and maybe the blue heron
that wades occasionally in the beaver pond.  Headed into town are the
farmers, ranchers, and all (Bull research station?)  Ease into the little
ghost town of Hesperus, too many churches, bible camps and "artist's
studios" make the 35 speed limit just about more than my right foot can
stand.

Stop sign, make a right  and blast the 1/2 mile to the Kennebec Cafe.  The
little boy in hunter orange waiting for a ride steps back and gazes
quizically at the three unnecessary heel/toe downshifts as I wheel into the
parking lot.  Rumpa-rumpa into a parking spot.  Breakfast burrito (chorizo,
eggs, potatoes, onions), toast and raspberry jam and 17 cups of coffee.  I
gaze at the sexy bulges that could be fender flares over Hoosiers, its only
the waitress's slacks.

Ease onto the highway, 1/2 throttle 1,2,3,4.  Its a beautiful morning to
stretch the Tigers legs.

Thanks for friends, burritos, fall foilage, small block fords . . . .

David
Red Mixmaster

D. E. Adin, Photographer
Box 2161