Mavrick Fan - 8600

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mavrick Fan - 8600
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:15:13 -0700
I was running around the local Pic A Parts this afternoon (thankfully I
found a replacement cylinder head for the cracked one my T-Bird Turbo Coupe,
my daily driver). Anyway, I spied an early 70's Mercury Comet with V-8 and
air. There was a 6 blade fan lying under the hood and had the numbers 8600
in the ID.I couldn't remember all the ID numbers/letters, but assumed that
given the application, the steel center, and the 6 aluminum blades that this
was the desired "Fan from Hell."
On closer inspection the desired fan is C9DZ-8600-A, and what I got was a
CF-DIDE-8600-BA. It has six non-even spaced  blades, and measures 17-1/2"
across. The blades are 6" long and 4" wide. Is anyone familiar with this fan
and have they ever used it (cut down)? It seems to have all the atributes of
the desired  C9DZ-8600-A fan only the diameter is larger.
 For those in the know the CAT Shop Notes list it in one area the MavrickV-8
and another with the 6 cylinder fan (both with air). Which on is it, or is
it both?  By the way if you are looking for this fan I also found other
Mavrick's with a (non-air) fan that has the 8600 number also (not the right
fan) so make extra sure you have the right complete number!
Thanks for any info that can be given. Tom Witt B9470101.