Re: Tigers United wish list

To: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: Re: Tigers United wish list
From: "Tim Jordan" <tjordan@wagnerprocess.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:02:59 -0700
Tom,

> I have observed that when someone puts the Ford V-6 in an Alpine the
> general reaction is favorable ("nice job"). Yet should someone put a Ford
> V-8 in an Alpine that guy is often a @#$%^&* FRAUD!

Problem is when the owner of the Alpine with the new V8 decides to attach
TIGER script to the fenders.  He also figures it would be cool to attach a
JAL and Tiger chassis tag to the Alpine cowl.  Funny how these guys always
forget to attach the TAC sticker to the Alpine!
Not to many Alpines with V8's installed  have retained their Alpine script
and other Alpine "only" emblems etc.  How many Alpines with V6 engines
installed have been passed on as a Tiger?  ZERO!  How many Alpines with V8
engines installed have been sold as Tigers?  Ten, twenty, or more?   The
issue is what happens after the V8 is installed in the Alpine.  These
conversions are usually presented and often offered for sale as Tigers and
thus the apprehension from the Tiger community.

> The better questions asked are: Is this a Sunbeam event,
> or is it a Tiger event. Is this an event for Stock only cars or do
modified
> cars have their merit.

SUNI: all Sunbeams welcome and I believe multiple classes for Sunbeam models
other than Tiger.
TU (west): All welcome, Sunbeam Tiger classes only including stock,
personalized and modified.
TU (east):  Not sure of the classes offered

> In a very real sense the Ken Miles car and the Shelby car were just
modified Alpines.

This is correct, they were the first two prototypes, with the Shelby Alpine
conversion going to Rootes for production analysis.

>Were the AF (Alpine Ford) cars really Tigers (as sold to the general
public) or did they only become Tigers when those that >were refurbished
were offered up? Are the LeMans Tigers simply a Tiger by badge?
> They are in fact (multiple) "one off" vehicles.

AF Tigers were preproduction and production Tigers that had the V8's
installed by the Rootes engineers or the Jenson factory.  They were not
Alpine conversions done outside of the factory.  The LeMans Tigers are each
one off  racecars.  One was the "Mule" or test car, the other two were
developed as Tiger Coupes for the LeMans race only.   My thought is that a
seperate class could be used for all these special factory Tigers/Alpine
conversions.

>.Should one be prohibited from bettering their Tiger at the
> cost of performance and safety just to be an eligible contestant?

No, put your Tiger in the personalized or modified class.

>Is an Alger (presented as such) that is well done any less of a Sunbeam in
the
> same spirit of the Tiger?

YES!  The Alger was never commisioned by Rootes!   Is a kit Cobra that is
well done any less of a Shelby in the same spirit of the Shelby Cobra?
Carrol Shelby has spent years in court answering this question.

tjj