Re: Exhausting This Topic

To: twojohnsons@home.com
Subject: Re: Exhausting This Topic
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:17:58 -0800
twojohnsons@home.com wrote:

> Steve---I KNOW you are old enough to remember Smitty steel packs. How about
> soaking glasspacks in oil to clog up the fiberglas and reduce their sound
> absorption?
> Still, 2-chamber flowmasters on a Mustang are damned near as loud as straight
> pipes.
> Some say an X-pipe quiets exhaust, but the Bassani X-pipe w/cats had little
> quieting effect (if any) on my Mustang.
> Has anyone tried an X-pipe on Tigers, or is the overall length too short to
>make
> the scavenging effect work?

Al,

Here in California, both the glass and steel packs were mostly Huth
mufflers. The steel shavings were coated with oil. The result was that
you billowed smoke out your exhaust as soon as the oil heated up from
the exhaust gas. After about a month all the oil had bee burned off, and
it no longer smoked, and sounded better. Of course the acid in the
exhaust corroded the fine steel shavings until they were gone too. The
fiberglass-paks didn't have any oil to smoke off, or become a sodden
clump of fibers which would not allow gas to pass through for muffling.

Afraid it was not a workable idea. They both sounded great, especially
to the cops.

On the "X" pipe, or the balance tube pictured in Larry's TigersUnited
article, the purpose is to flow a small quantity of gas between the two
sides, as the gas flows are in waves, based on firing order, and not in
sync. The idea is to fill the lower pressure zones with the higher
pressure ones that are occurring simultaneously on the other bank. This
actually quiets the exhaust, and aids in extraction.

The diameter of the connecting tube can be a good deal smaller than the
main pipe, as there is very little volume of gas in the rarefied zones,
so the flow rates are low, as is the quantity.

The value of the "X" design is the temperature of the exchanged gases
are the same as the nominal exhaust temp. In an "H" design there is not
sufficient flow volume during the rarefaction cycle to allow the gas to
flow across the connection, so just the gas inside the "H" that is close
to the other pipe is moved, and it is cooler. Sort of pulsates back and forth.

The ones I've seen have a decent length to them to avoid turning losses.
Don't think the Tiger has room for one as long as the GT Mustang. Need
to provide flange connections on both for removal (like Larry did), or
you'll never be able to work on the engine and tranny removal.

This is my understanding, but someone may have more detailed knowledge.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/