the problem with eBay

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: the problem with eBay
From: stephen jones <joness@wsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 09:02:39 -0800
The problem as I see it with eBay is not how fast or slow it goes. The
problem is the fact that parts that we used to buy for what a seller
thought was a fair price are going to the highest bidder.  A junk yard that
I use in Arizona for my  Alpine and Spitfire has now switched over to just
plunking large lots on eBay and seeing what happens.  "Want that left rear
twango lever? " You'll need to go to eBay"   Groan.  Another example is a
top for my Tiger a few weeks ago that the seller thought 200 was a fair
price for plunked it on eBay and got $355 for it before I could figure out
how to go down and get it.  Great deal for him and  good for sellers I
guess but what next? Having to bid for parts from SS and CS?  Going to pep
boys and bidding on spark plugs?  Sure its capitalism and the American way
but it seems that it is hurting our hobby.    We're losing the face to face
"regular guy" way of doing business.   steve jones B9470867