Re: Plug Wire Tester

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Plug Wire Tester
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:54:12 -0800
twojohnsons@home.com wrote:

> I remember that little cupped wire tester that Steve mentioned.
> Anyone know where to find a decent one?
> Al J.

Actually, Al I think I did buy the "pencil" type at Pep Boys. Of course
the neon light is not all that bright, so it should be done in the shade
of the garage.

Another thought is either an old neon timing light, in line with the
suspect spark plug, or a new clamp-on timing light that is clamped on
the suspect(s). It will go off whenever a high voltage actually goes
down the wire, and it can be seen. Don't stare directly at the xenon lamp.

Another way out concept is the cam change. Now I could be incorrect,
here, but I think there are cams that change the firing order, based on
year of engine or type. If the wires were installed per the original
timing sequence, instead of the new one, two cylinders would not be
getting the voltage at the correct time (about 20 degrees BTDC). I would
check that the cam firing order matches the wiring order. The miswiring,
even with the correct cam, can also cause such symptoms.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman
(http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/stevelaifman.asp)