Car dollies

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Car dollies
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:29:26 EST
Thought I should report to the list the results of my search for wheel/car
dollies.  As I earlier stated Harbor Freight  which sells them for $139 (sale
price $99) was out of stock.  Northern Supply had the same ones for $99 with
$57 shipping and handling, were also out of stock  At the suggestion of
someone on the list (sorry can't remember the name  (Tym ???) I contacted and
purchased a set of 4 from Car-Dolly.com.     Price is $145 plus only $15
shipping.  Their rated capacity is 6000 lb rather than most of the others at
3000 or 4000 lb.  They also have synthetic wheels rather than the cast iron
of most.  If you have very rough concrete, the cast iron might hold up better
though.   I researched building  them with castors from Home Depot and a few
other suppliers.  To get at least 4000 lb capacity the casters were going to
be $7 x 16 castors or $112.  To get 6000 lb would cost about $150.  It would
still then require wood and labor.  Anyway, the ones I ordered arrived today
and appear excellent.  They require only bolting the casters to the plates.

A humorous aside note to the order.  Packed with the paper work in the dolly
box was a written disclaimer stating, "In no way should this dolly be used
for any transportation of a vehicle." I read this and tried to imagine the
episode that prompted the company to include this note.   I could just
picture old Billy Bob deciding that he wanted to drag that old 60's station
wagon to the upcoming  demolition derby and the tires were flat.   So, with
his jacked up Ford pick-em-up  truck, a strong length of mama's clothesline
and these nice  wheel dollies........
Mark L.