Colombo calling - rear disks

To: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>, "The List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Colombo calling - rear disks
From: "Derek White" <derekw@sltnet.lk>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:37:36 +0500
Hi all,

Just got settled enough to re-signup to the list. This is a very beautiful
country (Sri Lanka) and we have all just been through a fairly bloody
election which has ushered in a new government and hopefully a new chance
for peace.

There are lots of LBCs here and I am trying to decide between a 1937 Austin
7 convertible and a 1960 Triumph Herald convertible (any suggestions?) There
are literally hundreds of low-light, split window Morris Minors around and a
lot of 40s and 50s European cars (nothing really valuable yet.)

I suggest anyone looking at rear disk brakes look at Peugeot 504 rear disks
(cheap and easy to adapt) and Ford Mercur (Sierra/Saphire in Europe)
calipers from the late 80s. I bought some used FIAT 124 calipers and was not
impressed with them- the Ford items are newer, beefier and most of all
designed for a bigger car. If you can't find the Pug 504 disks on that side
of the pond, look on the web. You'll probably get them at
www.needforspeed.co.uk and they can also sell you some inexpensive
cross-drilled or grooved (TarOx, Red Dot or EBC) Peugeot 405 front
ventilated disks (266mm) which are a very nice, easy fit for the front
(front disks go on backwards.) Both modifications will need an adaptor
bracket made.  I could have some made in Zambia if there is enough demand.

For those of you who think you are good drivers, come to Colombo, Sri Lanka
or any big Indian city. Lane lines are a waste of paint and distances
between cars, trucks, buses, bicycles, people, cows etc. are measured in
millimeters (a few thou' for those of you unmetricated.)

keep well, derek