Re: Protecting Your Investment

To: Chris Thompson <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Subject: Re: Protecting Your Investment
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 16:38:39 -0800
Chris Thompson wrote:

> Please post responses to the list - I'm looking at maybe getting one too
> after a friend just over-revved and blew up his beautiful XKE last
> weekend....
>
> Thanks....
>
> Chris

My Porsche 911S had a rev limiter from the factory. There was a spring
loaded weight inside the expensive rotor, and when it hit 6,700 rpm the
centrifugal force opened the high voltage path. Worked great, except for
one problem.

When you did a racing downshift and went from 5th to 2nd, instead of 4th
(one little bit over) the engine blew up real nicely, thank you, with
your foot off the gas!  Same thing on a 4 speed if you hit synchro 1st
instead of 3rd. Yes, it would be unlikely that anyone would get so
excited during a race that he would make such an error. But there is no
need to worry about rebuilding the engine. There isn't enough of it in
one piece, or one place, to even attempt it.

Luckily, I never missed a shift, but plenty did.  And it was
electrically foolproof - but never count out a bad driver. {8-)
--
Steve Laifman
Editor