Rebuilding the 260

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilding the 260
From: "Doug & Rett Leithauser" <dleit@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 08:43:09 -0500
I am beginning to rebuild my original 260. I am aware that this is not the
road to maximum HP, but it is original & it is what I have.
    I am interested in getting increased HP, without destroying the low end
torque that is needed to get rolling smoothly with the stock gearing (2:88
rear, close ratio). My first idea is to bore the block 0.030", use 351
Windsor heads (big valves & hardened seats)  milled as far as I dare to
retain compression, a mild RV type cam with a 465 cfm holley, probably on my
current low rise, unknown manufacturer manifold, with Pertronix ignition &
headers.
    Has anyone gone this route, or have reason why I would be a darn fool to
do so? My greatest concern is the use of the 351 heads on the 260, the
chambers are a lot bigger & compression is a concern, according to "How to
Rebuild Small Block Ford Engines" I would drop to 8:1 compression until the
heads were milled.
    If anyone has experience in this installation I would sure like to
benefit from Your experience, Otherwise everyone can tell me why I should go
with a new 302. My wife has already told me to keep my hands off her Mustang
GT.

Happy Motoring
Doug Leithauser