FL1 Trivia Question

To: Tiger Email Network <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: FL1 Trivia Question
From: Stu Brennan <stubrennan@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 21:53:49 -0500
I decided to change the oil on my Explorer today.  Because of it's
position, I decided that a cup type filter wrench, the giant socket that
fits on the end of a 3/8" socket extension, would do it.  So I got out
my trusty giant socket, that has removed countless Frams, Purolators,
etc., over the years.  Did it work?  NO!  Of course not.  The filter on
the car was a FL1, which is like a giant spline on the end, rather than
having the flats like on the Fram PH8A.  I had to go chasing around town
and find a special cup socket to mate with the FL1.

The trivia question:  Why does Ford use this shape on the end of it's
filters?  What does spline arrangement represent?  I'm pretty sure of
the answer, so I'm curious to see if anyone else has the same info.

Stu