Exhaust my 2 cents

To: "'ssage@socal.rr.com'" <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Exhaust my 2 cents
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:48:38 -0600
Steve,
Here is the drill. I have had to deal with this on repaired collision from
the rear.
The effect is like this.
Both windows up: neutral interior air pressure and it requires speed to
farce the air in through the trunk seal. It can still happen but less
likely.
One window down: The open window acts like when you blow on a pop bottle and
creates negative pressure and the interior will suck air from every crevice
it can. I would also check the old battery door as that is in a high area
under the floor boards that could load with fumes when still and then get
sucked in under motion. Check trunk seal by closing the trunk over a dollar
bill and try and pull it out all the way around the trunk. Tap the low areas
up with a rubber mallet. Most likely area is where the trunk bumpers hit the
seal at the bottom.
Both windows down: positive pressure and life is good fresh air being forced
OUT the trunk seal.
If you need help ... you now know where I live.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Business Development Manager
Akzo Nobel Coatings