Re: LAT 9 Wheels

To: SLaifman@socal.rr.com
Subject: Re: LAT 9 Wheels
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 15:51:23 EST
Tony

I am familiar with the devices that Steve describes.
They come in three sizes 13,14,15 in wheel size
and are held to the side of the wheel by a ring that
is pressed against the wheel.  The problem is the
spokes of the LAT-9 keep the clamps from gripping
the wheel.  They wont work.

The strobe was the only thing I found that would work.
It doesn't touch the wheel.

You spin the front wheels using the same spinning
device that the other clamps balancers use.  You
will be amazed as you watch your bumper vibrate
from imbalance.  When the man is through the
front bumper will be dead smooth at speeds well
in excess of 100 mph.  It will make a believer out
of you.  As a side bar, the last time I had this done
the mechanic called me over and said 'Listen to
this' and he spun the right wheel.  'Hear that bearing.
When are you going to repack it?'  Heres a some
tools, get started.'  I repacked both sides.  That is
something other balancers can't tell you.  Wheel
bearings do require maintenance and usually are
forgotten about until too late.  Properly maintained
wheel bearing should last a lifetime.

The back wheels are done by jacking one side of the car up
and using the engine to turn the wheels.  For non LSD cars
the wheel on the ground will not turn (Power goes to the
wheel with least resistance) and the wheel in the air will turn
at twice the indicated speed. 60 mph means you are turning
the rear wheel at 120 mph.  You should not have to go much
beyond this.  Repeat process for the other side.

For LSD cars you will have to jack both wheels at the same
time and support the rear on jack stand.  If a jack would
slip while doing this with a LSD rear end, you would have
a disaster.

You really need to find a shop with a mechanic with a good
sense of humor and knowledge of how things work.  Sears
or Pep Boys is not where you will find him.  Once found,
cherish the relationship.  Send him Christmas cards, send
his daughters a wedding gift, etc.  He will make your life
with your Tiger wonderful.

My mechanic:  Bill Meisner, long time WP Chrysler Club
member and big into the old 300's.

Dave Johnson