Headlight rims

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Headlight rims
From: "Larry Wright" <LWright@impactofficepro.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:04:16 -0500
Steve Laifman wrote:
>My Feb. 65 Mk I had the clip-on rims. One came off
>at 70 mph on the freeway. My wife was frantic as I was
>trying to pull to the center barrier emergency lane and
>walk back to find it - in heavy fast traffic.

>She talked me out of it, I acquired a replacement, and
>bought the necessary later model clips from Sunbeam
>Specialties. The screw is stainless, and there is a small
>fiber retainer to keep it on the rim.

>If you have not made this change, I strongly recommend
>it as the cheapest and easiest mod you can make, and
>likely to save one's stupid *ss!

        Steve (and others), you may recall my post "Throwin' Frisbees at my
car?" of perhaps five years ago, when the same thing happened to me at about
the same speed; the ring somehow missing the car and coming to rest on the
shoulder. Not wanting to modify the rings more than already inadvertently had,
I ended up installing a set of those wire-mesh headlight guards. Those act not
only to protect my $5 sealed beams from stone damage, but act as a retainer for
the rings -- no way the rings could loosen past the mounting clips for the mesh
guards. It's a YMMV solution, some might not like the look, but I avoided
drilling the car. Anyhow, I'd say that some manner of retention is recommended.

Larry Wright
"I can't get no-- Satis-traction"

P.S. New home e-mail address: wrightsinseabrook@msn.com