Re: Rear Wheel bearings

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Brent Edinger" <banana111@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Wheel bearings
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:58:35 -0800
Brent,
   The Tiger manual states the end play on the axles should be .006 to .008.
This is measured with a dial indicator. For the record my car had .004 with
the existing shims (and I left it at that). If you can find extra shims (I
couldn't) I would recommend you install the axles with more than you think
you will need. Then check the end play.
   For example say it is .012. Rather than BANGING the axles back out for
being too low on clearance (and needing to add shims) all you would need to
do is loosen the plates and cut out two .002 shims on each side. The manual
recommends setting the clearance by adjusting the shims on both sides to
keep the thrust floater centered in the dif.. Then when you retighten
everything it should move in the needed amount.
   I know this is not standard fair for setting the endplay, but it is
easier on the bearings and a lot less disassembly to correct. The only
problem I see is finding the shims. Oh, one other reason to do it this way
is if the initial cearance is too small (like in less than none) and you
tighten things up you could damage the bearings. Tom Witt B9470101