Re: Small pin press fit

To: "Tiger List \(Tiger List\)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Small pin press fit
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 21:16:36 -0800
I am not familiar with the particular area of the car you are speaking
about. But I will pass on some general info about press fits.

If the pin is solid and it needs to be retained in place by nothing but the
press fit, then the hole should be about 0.0015 inches smaller than the
diameter of the pin.  To hold this tolerance you should drill the hole about
0.010- 0.015 smaller than the pin.  Then follow with a reamer that is 0.0015
smaller than the pin.

If the pin is a spiral would pin or a "roll pin"  Then you can drill a hole
0.005 smaller than the pin and just push it in.

To really know what size the pin is you need a micrometer, one that reads to
.0001 is preferred.

Erich