Re: Tiger throttle cable

To: "Duncan Charlton (Texas)" <charlton@ev1.net>
Subject: Re: Tiger throttle cable
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:11:18 -0700
"Duncan Charlton (Texas)" wrote:

> Les,
> ....... If the pedal reaches the end of its travel at the same time
> WOT occurs, the stop takes the pressure from your foot and not the cable
> fittings.  Seems like lots of LBCs have this problem.
> Duncan

This is exactly correct, as I limped home on fast idle. The F4B/Holley
placed the carb throttle mechanism a good deal higher, and further
forward, than the original. Under full throttle (and who doesn't with a
new 4 barrel?) the good condition original "cable" (which is really a
thick wire rod) broke as it was taking all the foot pressure when the
throttle hit it's stop on the carb.

The accelerator pedal stop is adjustable, and I might have been able to
get it to stop the pedal at the same time the throttle was against it's
full open position, but then the idle position was too high.

Sunbeam Specialties sells a regular and a "long" version of this
throttle cable. The "long" version allowed the pedal stop (See
http://www.TigersUnited,com, Workshop Manual, C - Fuel Section, page 19
for illustration and instructions) to be properly adjusted for the pedal
to rest on the pedal stop when the throttle was fully open at the carb,
with no strain but the return spring pressure on the cable.

Same for idle. Rested on carb throttle stop.

No more problems.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman