Re: T5 adaptor

To: netscott@earthlink.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: T5 adaptor
From: JPKKMK@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 01:15:26 EDT
<< I heard about a plate that rotates a T5 so the shifter comes through the
stock
 hole in the tunnel. Has anyone used (does it work without a pain in the
 azzz), or know where I can get one? >>

Scott
I just finished putting a T-5 in my car and it would be very hard to tell
looking in the car. I went to a lot of work to make it look stock. There is a
plate that rotates the tranny and adapts the bolt pattern for a T-5 to bolt
into a Tiger. California Pony Cars makes it but it does not rotate the tranny
far enough to line up with the stock location. There is someone who made a
plate which will rotate the tranny far enough but I don't know if he is
selling the plates. Additionally the shift box on the T-5 is a large
rectangular box and wouldn't fit out of the stock round hole. You need to do
some cutting for this to work. Also you will need to modify the tail shaft
housing to move the shifter forward (lots of work) or find an AMC tailshaft
housing (almost unobtainable and still needs modification) or cut the car
quite a bit and lose the ashtray/shorten the center console.
The long and short of the T-5 conversion is that it will be a lot of work
with some or a lot of cutting. In the end the most people have felt the work
was worth the rewards of having an overdrive.
E-mail me directly if you would like to further explore the process. I have
explored this extensively and have some very good contacts and can put you in
touch with people who can do the work as well as people who have the
necessary parts. I even know where you can get an AMC tailshaft if you want
to go that direction.
Patrick King