OT ? Gage question

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: OT ? Gage question
From: CALUMETAIR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 23:19:14 EDT
I really, really do have a Tiger..... but this is sort of a generic question
that doesn't have anything t do with my Sumbeam.

I'll admit I'm lost when it comes to testing fuel quantity gauges. I'm
talking about the good old fashion float / resistor type. I get the drift
about how it's supposed to work when I test them it doesn't make sense to me.

My 1985 Southwind motorhome's fuel gage (probably GM because it's built on a
Chevy P-30 chassis) suddenly stops descending when it hits around one half
tank, unfortunately the fuel keeps being consumed (which led to a very long
walk on a really hot, still day in central Indiana)
I pulled the tank, removed the sending unit and while moving the float
through it's range, get readings that are all over the place on a digital
ohmmeter.
 I did this same test several months ago on a Piper Aztec fuel sender and got
similar bizarro readings (on a different digital "Fluke" ohmmeter. On the
Piper it turned out to be a loose wire, but that gage just read erratically,
while the motorhome's gage has been stopping at midway for years. (it does
show full when full.
Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tom