master cylinder

To: CDavis6645@aol.com
Subject: master cylinder
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.Ronak@AkzoNobel.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 01:05:16 -0400
Charles,
Bill martin at the Rootes group depot can probably help you here with
improved versions that are sleeved.
If you want to repair yours you can try what I did. I used a long quarter
inch mandrel (8inches long) with a slot that was about 1 inch long. I cut
long strips of 500 grit emery paper and slipped it in the slot about 2/3 the
length down in the strip and then wrapped the paper around the mandrel
tightly so that when I spun the mandrel in my die grinder at low speed it
would act as a flapper roll. I used WD-40 as a lubricant and used about 3
strips per bore. (I did all of my hydraulic systems including the booster
and clutch. The process is wind the paper tightly and insert carefully into
the bore. Start the mandrel spinning and constantly move it in and out of
the bore being VERY careful to NOT touch the bottom of the bore as the
sealing surface there is very easy to damage and virtually impossible to
repair. After each strip is used up closely inspect the bore to see if all
longitudinal scratches are removed. Very fine ones may be OK. Once it looks
nice then get a small cotton buff on a smaller but still lengthy mandrel and
use green hard aluminum polish to buff the inside of the bore to a high
luster. Clean thoroughly and then assemble with the red grease. Be sure to
use a lot as I originally used just brake fluid and it initially seized and
I had to disassemble to get it working again. I used the rebuild kits from
Rick at SS and the brakes work great!!

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Business Development Manager
Akzo Nobel Coatings
Off: (949) 305-5393
Fx: (949) 305-5394
Cell: (949) 439-4784
email: timothy.ronak@akzonobel.com
VM: (800) 234-6747 ext. 2257#

This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be privileged.
If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete
and destroy the original message and all copies. You should not copy,
forward and/or disclose this message, in whole or in part, without
permission of the sender.