dummies with Tigers

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: dummies with Tigers
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:17:15 -0700
Hey,
    New opportunity for endless threads !  Trying to get my buddy's car
running after 20 yrs. and encountering a number of problems:

--the car will run around town under average conditions without event.  Take
it out on the freeway for more than 5-10 minutes and the temp guage starts
pegging and the carb starts puking gas out every available shaft end and hole
and when shut off won't restart (even with starting fluid down the throat)
until it cools down quite a bit.  No cough, no sputter, just nothing.  It's a
Carter AFB and the carb guy who built it says it's junk in the tanks/line.
But it continues to run fine unless you push it.  Could it need a thicker
spacer plate or...........?

-- the temp guage reads 230 to start (warmed up), tends to move up and down
easily, but pegs pretty fast if you load it.  Has never puked with a 14 lb.
cap and engine compartment never seems really roaring hot, even when the carb
is freaking out.  I've read the recent threads here, but, car has no fan
shroud either, should we be worried?

-- rebuilt one of the brake cylinders ( + the other one needs it equally) and
the amount of corrosion required quite a bit of honing.  Seems O.K. so far,
but is this a bad idea?

-- I asked this recently and got little response.  Until we can find a Tiger
shroud, has anyone found something (pick a part type) that can be modified
without major machine shop bills to fit and work?

-- without asking me, my buddy put Dot 3 in the master cyl.  Bad idea or
really bad idea?

-- do the rear shock tops normally move up and down a lot visibly underway in
normal driving?

That should do for this week!  Thanks !

           Chris Hill