Re: speedo cable (different view)

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: speedo cable (different view)
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 08:47:49 -0700
Tigers,

Everybody has a speedo story.  I had my speedo recalibrated by the MO of
what used to be MOMA (before the divorce), here in Los Angeles. The
reason was the Mk II transmission I put in had a different internal
speedo helical gear tooth count (and dash speedometer ratio) than the Mk
I, and I did not know it, or I would have bought a new plastic internal
gear while it was being re-bearinged and checked.

Live and learn.  Anyway, the speedo started acting funny later on, so I
reached under the dash to check out the cable condition. The cable was
sticking out of the sheath pretty far.

I took it in to a regular speedo shop to get the cable core replaced and
was rebuffed by the owner. He didn't have the tools for fixing British
cables, as the swaging dies were different.  After swearing that this
was a FORD cable, he measured the excess inner core and made a shorter
cable.  The internal speedo structure cannot stand the pressure of a
long cable, and it will break the internal bearing and structure.

In handling the new unit, I found the cable swaged end that holds the
nut was sliding on the outer sheath!  The core, originally, wasn't too
long at all. It was the loose swaged end that was moving on the outer
sheath. He brought out his swaging tool and crimped it tight on the
against the outer housing and everything has been fine ever since. Never
needed that new, shorter, core at all.

The point? Two things. Yes, an regular speedo shop CAN replace your
core, or replace your cable. The other is the ORIGINAL cable had a
plastic inner sheath. A replacement cable has a wrapped steel sheath. It
lasts a LOT longer as that plastic wears, even with the grease.
Something to consider when you have it in your hands.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman
Editor