Stray 'trons

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Stray 'trons
From: JHef101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 17:35:15 -0400
Sorry to use the list to troubleshoot but it has been so long since I have
worked on a generator electrical system I have lost some of my knowledge.
    My low voltage light illuminated and I went troubleshooting and found the
green generator field wire had been hot and had melted the sheathing most of
it's length. Assuming a  short had caused this I replaced the wire and started
the engine, the light remained illuminated so I flashed the field of the
generator by using a remote starter switch connected between the starter
solenoid and the field post on the generator. When I would flash the field the
light would go out but as soon as I released it comes back on. Any ideas? Can I
assume that the voltage regulator toasted as well and replace that, would that
cause the field to not accept the flashing and keep the generator from
producing?

Thanks,
Jeff Hefner
B9470028