Re: Windshield Trim and New Windshields

To: tigers@autox.team.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Windshield Trim and New Windshields
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:02:40 -0700
> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:04:06 -0400
> From: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
> Subject: Windshield trim
>
> Two years ago I replaced the windshield frame on my Mk 1
> Tiger. I used one of SS's windshield rubber gaskets. When I
> tried to finish off the job, I could not get the lower
> stainless steel trim piece (across the
> front) to sit correctly in the gasket, so ended up leaving it
> off...
>
> John Slade
> Manotick, ON

I had a similar problem with brand new rubber from SS and a new windshield
from CAT.  I could not get the side pieces to fit right.  When I tried it
with the original factory windshield, it fit fine.  I did this back and
forth a few times, each time with the same result.  I ultimately found out
that the replacements available at that time were thinner than the
originals.  That was the problem.  Unfortunately, there were no
alternatives, and my original was scratched and delaminating.  So, I
trimmed the stainless to fit.  That was probably 10 years ago.  I have no
idea if today's replacement windshields are any better.

Jay