Re: What's in the cap?

To: Frank Marrone <itswonderful@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: What's in the cap?
From: ssage@socal.rr.com
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:07:18 -0700
Frank Marrone wrote:

> I'm replacing the gas cap lid on my Tiger and have got to the point
> where I have removed the vent assembly from the old cap.  My vent
> assembly looks in OK shape although the cork seal could use replacing.
> When I shake the vent assembly I hear a rattle, is this normal?  I can
> blow through from the tank side, I can also suck through from the tank
> side but it seems a bit harder to do (maybe I just blow better than I
> suck).  Is this normal operation for the cap vent?  How is this vent
> supposed to work, I mean why does it have moving parts?
>
> Has anyone had luck replacing the cork seal?  What did you use?
>
> Frank
> B9471117

Frank:
The seal part is easy. I got a replacement from Rick at Sunbeam
Specialties. It works great and really makes a seal. Too good, in fact.
The fuel tanks get pressurized. I think that vent assembly in my Tiger is
plugged somehow and I have to get it off to see if its fixable. As to any
moving/loose parts in there, I don't think there should be.

Steve Sage
Tiger MK1A