Bellhousings

To: "Tiger List \(Tiger List\)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bellhousings
From: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:07:01 -0700
I'm looking at modifying a 6-bolt bellhousing to take my narrow pattern
toploader.  I'm figuring on starting with a 6-bolt aluminum housing for
the wider pattern and building bosses to be fitted with thread inserts.
I'm also figuring I might have to swap the bearing retainer on the
transmission for the larger version if that is what the 6-bolt
bellhousings require.

Is there an easier way? I want to stay with the early toploader case.
Does a 6-bolt bellhousing with the proper transmission pattern exist?
I've heard that it does and that there are some with the bosses already
in place (but not drilled) but I've not been able to find one.  I know
the cast iron ones (6-bolt, bosses in place but not drilled for narrow
transmission) are fairly plentiful but I would like to stay with the
aluminum.

Frank
B9471116