RE: Alarm Systems

To: "'PAUL R SHEAHAN'" <sunbeamtiger@prodigy.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alarm Systems
From: "Kevin Wouters" <kevin.wouters@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 12:37:10 -0400
Sorry for the long winded answer but..... speaking from experience with
my Land Rover having previously taken a walk once and since been stopped
twice with the new system installed I think I have found the ideal. The
product name is Boomerang and I have it now installed in my Tiger as
well as in the Rover. It is the same type of tracking system that is
widely used except that it is not GPS based but rather based upon the
cellular network. Biggest difference is that although there are some
small pockets where coverage is not optimum, the signal is not blocked
in areas like parking structures etc.

You carry a key fob and you get two types of security; if the car moves
more than 25ft without the fob being in the car then the kill switch
kicks in and the system signals the monitoring station and you get an
immediate call to confirm. The second is that if the car is "lifted" by
means of tow truck etc. then you have the standard tracking ability as
well.

I was talking to an owner of a Ferrari Dino (yes it is authentic... and
damn nice) at a show'n shine a few weeks back and he had the car
recovered within 45 minutes after it was lifted by truck and placed
inside a shipping container. The tracking was still effective inside the
container which I think is amazing. I have personally had the Rover
stopped and tracked in less than 30 minutes twice now after a pro got
past the standard alarm. The Tiger has a remote switch added to
enable/disable the ignition which helps as well and you simply press the
button then turn the key.

Just remember... if a pro wants the car the pro gets the car. I look at
the tracking system as being a way to piss the pro off after he thinks
he won.

wouts