Re: Chrome trim piece

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chrome trim piece
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:01:38 -0500
Mark:

If the fasteners for the side trim on your Tiger are the originals, then
they are little round metal "buttons," for lack of a better term.  The
original side trim basically slid onto these fasteners; one look at the back
side of the trim will show you that the ends have a wider gap to allow the
trim to be slid over the buttons, thereby fasntening them to the car.  The
plastic trim fasteners that you get nowadays are NOT like the original
pieces, unless they have been changed within the last couple of years.

At any rate, it's going to be difficult to mix the two styles of fasteners
due to the way the trim goes on the old pieces.  My advice would be to drill
them all out and remove them, taking due care not to oversize the holes in
the body.  Personally, I like the old original fasteners but, to my
knowledge, they are no longer available and haven't been for many years.
The next best thing is to use what's currently available, which are the
plastic replacement units.  Take care installing these as you can sometimes
push a little too hard and cause a bit of a dimple in the side of the car.
And, for goodness sakes, whatever you do, don't let your body man fill in
any of the trim mounting holes.  I know of others who have had to drill
theirs out after they have been filled in; unfortunately, mine is like that,
too.  That is a job that I'm not looking forward to.

Anyway, good luck and let me know when the paint is on; I'd love to see
Jack's old car when it's done.  I'm sure it'll bring back of ton of memories
for me.

Take care,
Andy Walker
B382001600LRXFE