No More Pinging!

Subject: No More Pinging!
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:11:40 -0700
Not to monopolize our Tiger web space, but the pinging under load
problem I've had since the new 10:5+ compression went in has been
solved, I think.

There's not much room to see the timing mark on my motor with my A/C
installation under the hood so none of this was done "scientifically",
but just with messing about as I'll describe.

I ended up deciding I probably wasn't getting too much maximum advance,
as almost no matter how much I retarded the timing by turning the
distributor, the Tiger still pinged severely under a full load. If I
retarded timing so much that it wouldn't ping at all, it assumed Alpine
performance. Figuring that the problem isn't maximum advance, but it's
advance coming on too soon, I got a set of Mallory distributor advance
springs (even though I have an old Ford dual point I converted to a
Pertronix ignition, these worked fine). Pretty pricey for six little
springs (about $15 from PAW), but worth it in the end. I followed the
instruction sheet  that came with the springs...it shows graphs on where
max. advance happens (at what RPM) with what spring combos.After trying
about ten combinations, I came up with what seems to work for me, one
medium and one light spring. This seemed to match up with the
appropriate instructions diagram as when I had the Tiger dyno'd a few
months ago, max torque comes on between 3500-4000 RPM, and this spring
combo on the spring chart shows maximum advance should come on at about
3700 RPM. I played with distributor advance a bit too, and I can now
floor it under a heavy load in the appropriate gear, all the way to
6,000 RPM, and no pinging at all, even in 95 degree weather today.

Thanks for the previous advice on this from the list.

Steve Sage