Speedometer cable length follow-up

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedometer cable length follow-up
From: david.wedeking@teradyne.com
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:39:23 -0700
Last week I sent in a question about speedometer cable length looking for
details to explain why my speedometer was jumping all over (+/- 20 mph
swing). I got some feedback that made me go back to measuring the related
parts (cable, shell, speedometer connection, etc.). I found after careful
measurements that there was plenty of room for all the parts, no
interference that I could detect. I then looked to the speedometer itself.
I took it apart, noticed that when I turned the input shaft by hand it
would periodically bind and release. The input shaft has a large worm gear
the drives two plastic gears that are part of the eccentrics that steps
the total miles odometer and trip odometer. One of these gears had
cracked, changing the gear pitch at the one spot binding the worm gear. I
removed the cracked gear and eccentric, assembled and installed the
speedometer. That fixed the stability problem. It now has no more than a
+/- 1 mph swing. Now the problem is to find a replacement gear.

David Wedeking
1967 Tiger Mk 1A   B382002420LRXFE
Hillsboro, OR