Re: No spark

To: Scott Lampert <netscott@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: No spark
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 12:59:13 -0700
Scott.

ALL plugs are "glossy" and smell of gas, or just the first one.

Kind of mixed messages there. A rich mixture causes a black, sooty,
powdery coat. It may be wet with gas and look glossy, certainly would
smell of gas. Smell is not peculiar unless it is significantly different
than the other plugs, which you did not describe.

Since you did not describe either a chocolate brown insulator (good), or
a sooty one (bad), I am making the assumption it was just wet with gas.

Conclusion: the plug is NOT firing.  Lots of probable causes. Didn't
mention distributor, so assume vacuum advance, single point, standard
issue.  Cracked cap, bad connection, bad wire (which might just be
carbonized thread that has a break in it), bad rotor, defective cam on 1
cylinder (unlikely), bad wire ends.

Use a cheap neon bulb spark tester to touch the plug and see if it glows.

Hook a timing light to each wire, near the plug and see if it shows firing.

You need to do a lot more testing to isolate probably cause.

Steve

--

Steve Laifman
Editor