Hiss

Subject: Hiss
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:31:48 -0700
Hello Tigers:
My Holley carb is whistling at me. I like music but not this kind. I
re-installed the carb a few weeks ago and it started doing a one or two
second hight pitched whistle when you first "goose" the pedal. I can't
tell exactly where on the carb it's coming from. The noise then
immediately goes away but the whistle is repeatable under those
circumstances. The other symptom is that after raising the rpms, the
rpms do not return all the way down to proper idle rpms unless I tap the
gas pedal once or twice. . The throttle lever, when you manually push it
closed with the engine running, offers some resistance. A heavier return
spring helps a bit, but not completely. The interesting part is with the
engine off, the throttle closes all the way very easily, even with no
return spring connected (just with the on board spring on the carb).

Is this a symptom of a vaccuum leak? I'm taking the carb off in a few
minutes and will replace the carb base gaskets, hoping this will solve
the problems (one of the gaskets is pretty old), but we'll see.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A