RE: Fuel CRACKING, non tiger

To: "Derek White" <derekw@sltnet.lk>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel CRACKING, non tiger
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:14:17 -0700
Derek,

This has been an interesting subject to investigate. As you well know, the
interest in high-mileage carburetors goes back to the infamous Pogue
carburetor that was supposed to get up to 200 mpg. Here's a link to a little
(favorable) history:

http://energy21.freeservers.com/pogue.html

As counterpoint, here's another link that debunks Pogue and similar
"inventions":

 http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/magiccar.htm

>From what I've been able to find out, and it was certainly what I expected,
the stories about tanks and airplanes using flash evaporation type
carburetors are simply urban legends. Our airplanes did have an advantage in
WWII, but it was the superior octane aviation gas that was produced in
state-of-the art refineries using newly developed heterogeneous reforming
catalysts that was responsible. The US took a big gamble and it paid off.

I have looked at Kulasinghe's US patent. For those who are interested in the
details, here is a link:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtm
l/search-adv.htm&r=1&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=pall&S1=kulasinghe.INZZ.&OS=in/kulasingh
e&RS=IN/kulasinghe

In case this link doesn't work, the patent number is 5,398,663. Getting a
patent is not really much of an endorsement of its efficacy, especially in
the US. Maybe the only place where it's easier to get a patent is in Sri
Lanka. I notice, for example, that the patent does not say what the gas
mileage is in absolute terms, just relative to a "standard bottle of fuel".
Is the 73% improvement from 10 to 17.3 mpg, or from 20 to 34.6 mpg? I have
also not been able to locate any other papers by Kulasinghe published in
generally available journals.

One question to think about is what is the experience of vehicles burning
methane (CNG, LNG, etc.)? Wouldn't this have the same basic efficiency as is
claimed by the basic Pogue carb idea? One study I've seen shows an 8%
improvement over diesel-powered vehicles on a normalized fuel energy content
basis. (http://www.afdc.doe.gov/pdfs/deere6081.pdf) I assume the compression
of this particular methane fueled engine was optimized; i.e., higher than
for a gasoline engine, but less than for the diesel. I pretty sure, if you
just convert a regular compression engine for methane, the gas mileage will
decrease because there is less energy available compared with gasoline, but
people do it for pollution and cost-per-mile, not miles-per-gallon reasons.
It's even harder to believe that converting a small portion of the fuel to
"vapor" as in the Kulasinghe or Pogue devices would have much direct effect.

The thermodynamic model for an internal combustion engine is a variation of
the Carnot cycle called the Otto cycle. This model is a simplification of
the real world, but puts an absolute upper limit on the possible efficiency,
which is E = 1 - 1/(r exp0.4). You can find more detail at the following and
elsewhere:

http://www.physics.ucdavis.edu/classes/Summer2002/ss1/physics9B/lectures/Sec
ond_Law.pdf

For example, with a compression ratio r=8, the efficiency limit is 56%. In
practice, it's more like 30-35%. As the equation predicts, higher
compression ratios allow higher efficiency, a consequence of the higher peak
combustion temperature, which is of course why we speed freaks like high
compression engines. In this case at least, high power output and high
mileage go together.

You mention the possibility of some "catalytic role" of the 5% of the fuel
that is "cracked" by flash evaporation. I presume this would have to be some
kind of heterogeneous (gas-surface) catalysis because of the memory effect.
I guess you are suggesting that a minor change in hydrocarbon distribution
is responsible for improved combustion and mileage.  This sounds like it's
equivalent to the many "additives" that purport to give you improved
mileage, performance, etc. and we all know how effect they are. For example,
here's one called GTA Fuel Enhancer with "Viscon" that makes claims similar
to the Kulasinghe device:

http://www.apdinc.com/GTAgas.html

Here's an example of something else that supposedly does the kind thing the
Kulasinghe device does, the Super FuelMAX with neodymium superconducting
magnetic resonance fuel cracking no less. Why am I so skeptical? Could they
advertise it if it wasn't true?

http://www.gas-mileage.com/superfuelmax.htm

Maybe you should ask Kulasinghe if you could borrow his Peugeot or Mercedes
for a long test drive and see for yourself just how remarkable his invention
really is. I'd definitely want some pretty convincing evidence before
risking my own money. In the meantime, I'd suggest you're safest to stick
with brewing beer.

Bob Palmer
rpalmer@ucsd.edu
rpalmer@brobeck.com