Re: Rocker cover clearance

To: Wally Menke <wallym@ozemail.com.au>,
Subject: Re: Rocker cover clearance
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:20:52 -0700
Wally,

The F4B Edelbrock will allow 1 5/8 inch clearance from the stock air
cleaner to the upper firewall lip, and is 6" from the carb center.

The K&N part number, according to the markings on the filter that allows
clearance to the hood with the stock air cleaner, is A135A8, and
measures 16 1/4 x 8 1/2 x 1 1/4 thick.  A thicker air cleaner might be
desirable, but will cause hood clearance issues even with a LAT hood,
and the original air cleaner.  A smaller air cleaner body, such as the
triangular shape, is self defeating as the height may be larger in the
small LAT central scoop area, but the filter area / flow capabilities
are much less.  Just calculate surface area.

Sunbeam Specialties carries this filter at a reasonable, state-side, cost.

K&N's website is http://www.knfilters.com , but they only list the Alpine.

The biggest issue with fitting a roller rocker arm is the interference
between the steel splash shield internal baffle in the aluminum valve
cover and the center adjust nut. This can be easily overcome by drilling
a clearance hole in the shield, just over the center of each rocker nut,
with a hole saw.

However, some cast aluminum, and extruded roller arms are also very
wide.  The  Crane "Energizer" is not the widest, but is near there. I am
not certain of this, but am told the width may have some influence on
clearance with either the casting or the splash shield. I am CERTAIN
that those who have these installed will provide the correct answer, up
to and including the removal of the splash shield in its entirety.
http://www.cranecams.com/ has a full web site and search engine, but all
I could find were aluminum.

 IMHO, although Crane makes fine cams and products, the Crower stainless
steel model is much slimmer, as the strength of the steel does not
require the larger dimensions. They are about $370 / set, however. The
Crower arms are available in 1.6, 1.65,  and 1.7 ratios for the 221-351
Ford V-8.

Performance Automotive Warehouse, http://www.pawengineparts.com, sells
their own branded line of products, and I think the "Competition Cams"
line is one of them. They have an 8650 chromemoly steel rocker for $264
(3/8" and 7/16" stud, 1.6 ratio) for about $265.

Unlike aluminum rockers, the steel ones are rebuildable, so they state.

I think that covers your request for information. Let us know what you
get, and how it works out.

Best,

Steve

--