Alpine brakes

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Alpine brakes
From: JimboAnder@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:19:04 EST
    I have consulted my best sources (John Logan, Tiger Tom) and we haven't
come up with an explanation for what has been happening to my brakes.
    This is the story thus far:  My brake reservoir went dry because of big
leaks, so I took it to local mechanic and ordered a new brake reserovir from
Victoria British. He also discovered that the servo was leaking, so we took
that out and it has been sent to Tiger Tom for rebuilding, and - like many
sunbeamers - simply bypassed the servo as, I am told, is now common practice
among Sunbeamers.
    We put in the new master cylinder The brake pedal was very hard but the
brakes performed. When I got home, three miles from the garage, my front
brakes were dragging and smoking - locked up.
     Had the car lifted back to the garage and went through the usual drill:
Actuator rod too long? Nope , it was not changed. We even shortened the
effective length by putting shims on the firewall mounting, still no joy.
Master cylinder defective? Nope, same thing when Victoria British sent
another new one by overnight UPS. Calipers defective? Apparently not, since
they worked fine before. Mechanic believes that there is a relief valve in
the servo and that problem will solve itself when the rebuilt servo is
re-installed. Tiger Tom disagrees and I have boundless faith in Tom.
     So, any suggestions from the group?
      Signed, Desperate (also known as Jim Anderson).