Jeep mail truck rear end

To: "Tigers" <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jeep mail truck rear end
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:07:17 -0800
Listers,
    Walking by an old hulk today and noticed it was a Jeep mail truck.  Guy
said he thought it was a '75, but didn't know much more about it.  I looked
underneath the back and it appeared to my undereducated eye to be a Dana 44.
Remembering the old CAT shop note about that, I wondered if I could get cheap
posi out of it.  The shop note was written by none other than our own Dave
Johnson (Hi Dave!) and I wondered (since I know NOTHING about rear ends) if
this was indeed an option.  Did all mail truck 44's come with posi's?  I'd be
using 2.88's or 3.07's.  Would they fit with the carrier that would have been
used.  Are spline counts an issue.  Would the eventual cost (this would be
very cheap, but I'd have to get it out myself) be worth the trouble?
    That should be enough.  Thanks!

       Chris Hill