DUH! on me

Subject: DUH! on me
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 19:18:50 -0800
Stu Brennan wrote:

>I think it's unlikely that the radiator suddenly clogged to cause your
>problem, especially in the "cool" weather you describe, and with the
>Gano. My guess would be a failing thermostat.  The slow warmup would not
>happen if the Gano was clogged.  Does it seem to stabilize for a bit at
>your normal thermostat temperature, or does the gauge just continue on
>upward?  A pause would indicate some thermostat activity, but if it just
>continues up without stopping, then the thermostat may be frozen.
>
>When my heater core leaked, I had green water dripping down by my
>passenger's feet. As for anywhere else it might be going....How does
>your oil look?  Is the quantity going up?
>
>Stu

Stu and other Sunbeamers:
I think the temp. does, once it starts rising, pretty much just go up to
200+ a bit. However, I must now pronounce myself officially "Sunbeam
dumb"! I just checked the water level in the header tank and it was way
down, the obvious immediate cause of it running hot. Why I haven't done
that for the last few days is beyond me. I've just been adding a bit now
and then to my extra overflow tank, which obviously wasn't functioning
correctly since it didn't have enough water from the system to work
with. Maybe it's the onset of Stevesheimers disease or something. The
oil, by the way is clean and no evidence of water there. Sooo, the water
is obviously going somewhere. I decided to just get on with it and I'm
pulling the radiator, header tank and heater core tommorow and take them
to a radiator shop on Monday to have them tested and fixed where needed.

Which brings me to my fan shoud question, since it will be coming out
too. I have a stock fan shroud. The fan blades in my Tiger reside
completely inside the shroud. I understand that for the shroud to be of
benefit, about 1/3 of the blades should be outside the shroud to pull
the air through. Short of having a custom shroud made (which I may do
eventually) would I be better off just running without the shroud in its
current configuration? Or will that make it run hotter?

Steve Sage