Re: Alpine Conversion

To: Tiger Folks <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alpine Conversion
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 10:27:51 -0700
If I understand correctly, the philosophy behind the TAC program was, and is,
to promote the Tiger marque by educating people about the Tiger vs. Alger vs.
fraud issue, and by making examples of at least the factory produced Tigers.
Since the program has only authenticated about 400 Tigers out of probably 2000
or more currently existing Tigers, no one ought to be claiming anything like
"If it's not TAC'ed it's not real". The TAC list represents the fraction of
Tiger production, that certain marque experts have inspected, and have been
found to be unquestionably of factory-produced origin. No more, no less. Like
others have said, a TAC sticker does not say anything about the chassis'
viability, value, or current originality.

My opinion is that factory-produced Tigers are Tigers. Alpines with SBF engine
swaps are Algers (maybe only if the owner puts Tiger emblems on the fenders?),
and are in the same class as all of the Shelby-ized Mustangs you see these
days. Call them "tribute cars". They're a lot of work to put together, and
usually the owner knows, that since it's not the real thing, it will never be
worth the same. The least we can do is to show some appreciation for their
efforts - it might keep someone from trying to hide their work behind a Tiger
VIN plate. Alpines with Tiger VIN plates are frauds, as well as SBF Alpines
(with Alpine VINs) that are marketed by the seller(s) as Tigers to an
unsuspecting buyer.

Theo