RE: Timing covers & water pumps?

To: "Tiger List \(Tiger List\)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Timing covers & water pumps?
From: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:17:54 -0800
Anthony,

There are a bunch of different front covers although they can be divided
into two basic types (at least up to roller block intro, after that I'm
kind of clueless).  The early cover like originally came on MK I's
accepts a water pump (so called "aluminum pump") which uses the timing
cover for the pump backing plate.  After some time in '65 most 289's had
the so called "cast iron" water pump which had a bolt on back plate.
You must use the "aluminum" pump with the early cover and the "cast
iron" pump with the later cover.  The water pump bolt configuration is
different between the two covers.

The "cast iron" pumps come in aluminum so if you want to stay with an
aluminum pump you can even with the later style cover.  I'm nearly 100%
(let's say 99.5%) positive that you can use either cover on your HP 289,
having never tried it on a HP I'm going to reserve that .5%.  I've
recently interchanged front cover types on a "standard" small block so I
know that works.

The dipstick tube as well as the front cover is available new from a
variety of Mustang resto suppliers.  The tubes are cheap, ~$10.  I've
also seen more expensive NOS style tubes if that is your thing.  Many of
these are on the web.  If you can't find them let me know and I can send
you some links.

If you need more info I can send you digital images of the different
covers and water pumps, just went through this about a month ago.

P.S.  There are at least three versions of the early cover.  With oil
filler tube, without tube and tube hole blocked off, no filler hole at
all.  I know this because I have one of each.

Frank
B9471116

>From: "Anthony & Susan" <jetbike@worldlynx.net>
>Subject: Timing covers & water pumps?
>
>Listeners,
>Are the timing covers the same for the 260 / 289 and the 289HiPo? I
purchased a 289 HiPo today and the only problem I >have is the dip stick
tube is broken off in the timing cover. How hard will it be to get the
right dip stick and tube? Are these >parts the same for the standard
289? Can't have her run low on oil after the rebuild. Also does this
mean I'll switch to the
>cast iron water pump? The guy told me that all of my 260's front cover
and such will bolt right on to the HP. As always I'm >in all of the
lists wisdom. Regards,