Re: clutch info II

To: KJENSSEN@aol.com, TIGERS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clutch info II
From: Veeseeoso@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:00:23 EST
Hello Kirt and Listers,

The following is a letter I wrote to a fellow in Europe in response to a
similar question. I trust you may find this information useful.

The information I am providing is the result of my personal "character
building" experience to place the strongest, most reliable flywheel, clutch,
bellhousing and starter combination in my street driven/raced often Tiger.
Your buildup philosophy will dictate how you will proceed. Since the Tiger is
not very easy to work on, I recommend you get the best parts that you can
afford. Replacing a cheep throwout bearing on a Tiger is something you do not
want to do on a regular basis.

A problem that some Tiger owners have with the diaphragm clutch is that it
sometimes does not easily disengage. If you have driven your Tiger with the
stock three finger long throw clutch, you will remember that the
disengagement is high on the petal. The diaphragm clutch disengages low (very
close to the floorboard).

Because the hydraulic system is self adjusting, changing the diameter and/or
stroke of the master and/or slave cylinders (swapping parts, you do the
physics) may correct this problem. Please disregard this suggestion if you
get the correct parts (as listed below) in the place.

The following is what is recommend. McLeod makes a Tiger specific diaphragm
clutch. It is designed to work with the stock Tiger hydraulic system. If you
have the aluminum bellhousing, I recommend a very high quality billet
aluminum flywheel. Together with ARP fasteners, this is a virtually
bulletproof street setup. Use a steel scattershield (old stock Ansen, Tiger
or Cobra, the latter repoped by Tony Branda) for aggressive high rev track
use.

Part numbers:
Dual performance disc   260830  (10.5")
Street pressure plate   360406
Aluminum flywheel       563100-28   260-289-302 with 28oz imbalance
Aluminum flywheel       563100-50   302 5.0L with 50oz imbalance

NOTE: THESE MCLEOD FLYWHEELS MAY REQUIRE THAT YOU USE THE STARTER FROM THE
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION RATHER THAN THE MANUAL TRANS STARTER. MOCK EVERYTHING
UP ON YOUR ENGINE AND MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT INTERFERE WITH AND THAT IT
PROPERLY ENGAGES THE FLYWHEEL RING GEAR BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE ENGINE AND
TRANS IN THE TIGER. SHIMMING THE STARTER MAY BE REQUIRED. ALSO MAKE SURE THE
STARTER PROPERLY DISENGAGES FROM THE RING GEAR. Please refer to my article in
the Tigers United Forum:
http://www.tigersunited.com/forum2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38&FORUM_ID=21&CAT_ID=7&;

Topic_Title=Bellhousing%2C+flywheel+and+starter+fitment&Forum_Title=Section+B+

%2D+Engine

If you plan to make less than 375hp and rev below 5800, then you will be
enormously happy with this setup. McLeod has a website at   www.mcleodind.com

Good Luck!
Henry Vicioso, Shorewood, IL