Re: Still have a wiper problem

To: "Tiger List (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Still have a wiper problem
From: "Will Seay" <wseay@ntelos.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 10:56:29 -0500
Jim,
I agree that the switch should be open in the OFF position, but I suspect
that the problem is in the motor assembly.  Somewhere hidden in the motor
assembly is another switch.  This switch closes and connects the motor to
ground (via the MOTOR's black lead) when the wiper is away from the rest
position, and closes when the wiper is at the rest position.  When you throw
the wiper switch to an ON position (i.e. slow or slower), you are shorting
over the internal switch, allowing the wiper to operate.  When you place the
switch in the OFF position, the internal switch is nolonger shorted, and the
motor will only run until the rest position is reached and the internal
switch opens.

I suspect that this internal switch is bad (shorted).  You should be able to
test for this by disconnecting the MOTOR's black wire from ground.  The
wipers should then turn on when the wiper switch is in an ON position and
turn off when the switch is in the OFF position.  When the wiper stops it
will stop where it happens to be instead of stopping at the rest position.

If the wiper acts as described, the problem is with the internal switch.  I
don't know exactly where this switch is.  It's probably built into the motor
assembly itself.  If you're a hearty soul, you might try digging into it
yourself.  Otherwise, take it to someone who knows what he's doing.

Good luck
Will Seay - wseay@ntelos.net
B382001570