Re: rack & pinion for ackerman mods

To: Arnie Sugar <asugar@hwageo.com>
Subject: Re: rack & pinion for ackerman mods
From: sosnaenergyconsulting <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:13:05 -0800
Hi Arnie:
I bought my R& P sight unseen.  It's generally in okay condition, but
I've since found out that the rack arm is a little sloppy on one side.
The 'fix' is evidently to take the ball and socket apart and mess about
with shims to make things a bit tighter again.  I'm trying to figure out
how to get the darned ball housings apart!  There's special tools
involved and since I don't have any, we're trying to make something that
will do the job.
So I guess my thoughts would be that if you can physically inspect the
R&P first that would be best, and check the 'play' in the rack arms. If
they seem excessively loose, you might want to see if you can find one
that won't need disassembly in that particular area.

Oh, you are looking for a pre-'70 R&P, right?  I believe that's the type
that Dale recommends.

Best of luck with the project.

Actually, this leads to a general question to the list:  There's an oil
nipple on these sprite racks for putting in the 90 wt oil.  Can I use a
grease gun and fill it with oil, or will the oil just ooze out of the gun?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

David Sosna