RE: rack & pinion for ackerman mods (upate)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: rack & pinion for ackerman mods (upate)
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 22:12:15 -0800
Arnie (and any others following),

  I had more time to look over the '74 Midget rack today. I was in error that
is favorable. The hole centers for the Tiger crossmember rack mount and the
Midget rack clamps are actually the same. The simple solution to mounting
would be to get an extra set of the front clamps and use them on the rear side
(facing the crossmember rack mount). Just cut some spacers of the proper size
(I'm guessing about 1/2") to go under the rear clamp bolt holes to take up the
space created by the "U" shape. I hope this goes through the server the way it
looks now:

                  I     I  spacer : crossmember rack mount
front clamp  ( O )  rear clamp
                  I     I  spacer : crossmember rack mount

What I did notice was that the threaded rack ends on the '74 Midget rack were
smaller than the threaded ends on the Tiger rack (and Alpine tie rod ends
too). Whether this is the problem with the newer rack, or the sizes regardless
of year are the same and Dale has the hex piece threaded to two different
sizes I don't know. I look up tie rod ends for the Midget and they showed two
different tie rod ends and tie rods so????
  Anyone with this conversion care to comment on the thread size? Note: these
are my observations for "theories". Any modifications are done at your own
risk.

Regards, Tom Witt B9470101