RE: Desktop Dyno Fun/rod length

To: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@attbi.com>
Subject: RE: Desktop Dyno Fun/rod length
From: "Derek White" <derekw@sltnet.lk>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:43:33 +0500
"I have seen a lot of arguments both ways with the "it doesn't help power"
side
having a slight advantage."

Most people are not designing engines but trying to make the best of
existing engines and components so there is not a lot they can do about the
rod length. Using an existing block and crank, extra rod length has to come
from reduced pin height (and there is very little room for change there.)
Longer rods give the pistons longer at the top, less cylinder wall loading,
less friction and thus a higher proportion of the combustion forces
transmitted to the crank.

A Volvo racing guy once told me the optimum and I think it was a little over
2:1.

cheers, derek

Derek White
37/2 Buller's Lane