I'm Still Wet

Subject: I'm Still Wet
From: ssage@socal.rr.com
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:02:27 -0800
I tried teflon tape on my brake light switch today, but unfortunately it
still leaks a bit. It seems that the switch threads just slice the tape
when I tighten down the switch. I'm going to try a compression washer as
was suggested by a couple of listers, but I also wonder if maybe I have
the wrong switch. I've got a very late MK1A (sold in 1967). I noticed
that there were two Tiger versions of the switch, one for MKIIs and one
for all other Tigers. I think the difference is that the MKII switch has
a tapered end (where it presses into the recieving block) , and the
other switch has a flat end. I think mine has the flat end (after
messing with it ten times this weekend, that's one thing I didn't notice
for sure). I wonder if my Tiger, being late in the MK1A production run,
got a MKII style recieving block which maybe needs to have the tapered
end to seat properly and seal off the fluid. Or maybe, as Steve Laifman
suggests, the thread of the two switches is slightly different and don't
quite match up enough to seal.

This is probably more detail than most of you out there want to read, so
sorry about that, but I've got figure out how to seal that darn thing,
and thanks for the ideas so far.

Steve Sage