Stop Light Switch Problem Solved

Subject: Stop Light Switch Problem Solved
From: ssage@socal.rr.com
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:39:28 -0800
Thanks to all the great help and suggestions from the list, my latest
adventure, my non-working, leaking stop light switch now works and
doesn't leak anymore. If it weren't for the advice from the list, my
Tiger would be sitting in the driveway 24 hours a day, or my bank
balance would be a lot lower than it already is.

I had been able to get the switch to work normally by switching back to
Girling fluid from Valvolene Syntech (or maybe just dropping and banging
on the switch a few times did the trick), but I could not solve the
slight fluid leak I got at the base of the switch. Tightening it
(probably too much) and Teflon tape didn't work. Thanks to a list
suggestion, and confirmed today by Sunbeam Specialties, you do need to
use a compression washer over the switch thread. I also found out that
the washer has to fit over the threaded post of the switch fairly
closely. A slightly larger compression washer I tried didn't work, but
when I used one that would barely fit over the post, the  leak finally
stopped.

I now know a lot more about stop light switches than I ever wanted to
find out.

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A