Engine rebuild

To: "'tgifford@dee-inc.com'" <tgifford@dee-inc.com>
Subject: Engine rebuild
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.Ronak@AkzoNobel.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 23:18:40 -0500
Todd
You can use whatever pistons you like to rebuild your 260. If the
hypereutectic pistons are available GREAT if not go with the Forged
versions. The difference is the amount of wall clearance that is used and to
a degree the amount of durability. The hypereutectic pistons are fitted a
lot tighter than the forged units as the forged units expand a lot more once
they warm up. For my money I chose to run Forged pistons as I intend to USE
them under lots of high RPM pounding.  As for the cam ..... pitch it and go
with a new one. If you really want to wake up your 260 consider going with
one of the retrofit Hydraulic roller kits. You will need to upgrade your
valve springs but it will likely pick up at least 30-40 HP over the stock
hydraulic cam provided that you have headers and a 4-barrel. Go with a Comp
Cam version and use the associated retro fit kit. As far as an over bore, my
old 260 engine went .040 over and had no cooling issues but there are people
who will say that anything over .030 is pushing the "safety" envelope. If
you plan on running 91 octane you can run up to 10.5:1 and a flat piston
with little concern provided you run a decent ignition system. As for
rockers and valve train, I would suggest nice roller units like comp cams
pro magnums but it depends on what you are doing and how much you want to
spend. There are also nice roller 'tip' rockers that are decent and are more
modestly priced. If you just want to restore the car I would replace all of
the pushrods and rockers with quality replacements. I would also upgrade to
screw in studs for the rockers rather than the pressed in ones while I had
the motor apart. If you plan on doing any head work at all I would consider
just buying a new set of heads as a full rebuild and new valves, retainers,
keepers, valve seals, machining for screw in studs and hardened seats for
unleaded fuel will run you about $400-$600 and a NEW set of Performance
Edlebrock Aluminum heads will run about $1000 and will make a BUNCH of power
over a stock iron set. Even a later model set of heads will work and flow
better than the 260 heads. Performance aftermarket Iron heads can be had for
about $850.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Business Development Manager
Akzo Nobel Coatings
Off: (949) 305-5393
Fx: (425) 955-6268
Cell: (949) 289-3357
email: timothy.ronak@akzonobel.com
VM: (800) 234-6747 ext. 2257#

This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be privileged.
If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete
and destroy the original message and all copies. You should not copy,
forward and/or disclose this message, in whole or in part, without
permission of the sender.