Re: "Dearie, Do You Remember...."

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "Dearie, Do You Remember...."
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:48:24 -0500
Steve:

I went with great interest to the Paramount Ranch site, as well as the
Riverside site which is linked there.  I never knew anything about the
Paramount track as it had come and gone before I was even born.  But,
Riverside...wow, what a track, what history, what hallowed ground for anyone
who calls him or herself a sports car enthusiast!

When I was growing up in the '60s and '70s, most of my friends could quote
baseball team lineups, football players, game stats, and all the rest of
that crap.  But not me, man...I knew more about '50s and '60s sports cars
and racing than anyone should have a right to know!  I knew who raced what,
when and where, and who won what, when and where, and who was killed when
and where, all the racing car models, all the tracks across the world...man,
those were the days!  I lived and breathed this stuff, and Riverside was one
of my favorites.  Seeing pics of how the Riverside area looks now does more
than just sadden me; it really kinda pisses me off.  How could they 'doze a
piece of history like that?  Progress?  PROGRESS?  How many malls do we
really need?

Sorry for getting on my soapbox, but seeing those old historical photos
really wound me up.  Racing will never, ever be like that again, the drivers
will never be super heros like they were back then, the cars will never be
like that again...come to think of it, that last bit about the cars never
being like that again absolutely sums up why I own my Tiger.  To use the old
cliche, "They just don't make 'em like that anymore!"

Enjoy your car as much as possible while you can,
Andy Walker
B382001600LRXFE