water pump snout

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: water pump snout
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 02:52:25 -0700
Hi Guys,
    Still trying to get my buddy's fan back away from his radiator.  Pulled
the radiator (to rod it out anyway) and on removing the fan and pulley, found
that the hub was slap up against the w.p. snout, no room to move (press) it
back.  So, for curiosity, we measured the length from the pump mounting
surface to the end of the snout on both this pump and another in a box in the
garage.  1/4 inch difference, but both are definitely 289 pumps.
    How many kinds of pumps were made for the 289 and is there variance in the
snout length.  I don't see how we can get the fan back without changing the
dimensions of the pump or shoving the engine back in the passenger
compartment.

                   Chris Hill